Friday, 10 February 2012

004: New Year Resolutions Going Well!

This year I made a few New Year Resolutions, but unusually my first resolution was to actually make my other resolutions achievable!  Each year I regurgitate the same ones, lose more weight, keep off the weight that I lose, stop eating chocolate ...you get the idea?  Of course each year by mid February those resolutions have all been long forgotten, the cold weather combined with a stinking cold usually means that the diet has to end for 'medical' reasons (my mum always says ' feed a cold, starve a fever' and 'mum' always knows best!).  The chocolate resolution fails every year and I think that I just have to face the cold hard fact that "My name is Fleur and I am a chocoholic"'

So 2012 started with achievable objectives:
  1. Learn to crochet before the end of the year - I may have been knitting since I was 6 years old but believe it or not I've never picked up a crochet hook.
  2. Read the 3 Stieg Larson books from the Millennium Series and finally see what everyone else is talking about - are they really as good as everyone says?   
  3. Run a half marathon in under 2 hours and a 10k in less than 52 minutes - I love running though I'm not a natural born runner.  I came to the sport late in life, my first 10k race was in 2009 at the grand old age of 38, but I got the bug and have been running ever since, in that time I've raced in countless 5ks, 10ks, 15ks and five half marathons.  So this year was the year to set achievable but challenging targets for myself.
It's now February and for the first time my resolutions are still going strong, they may not be complete but at least they haven't crashed and burned before January was even out.

Progress is as follows 
  1. Crochet Book and Hooks bought - not actually done any hooking yet though. 
  2. First Stieg Larson Book started (thanks to the Postie who ordered the book for me) and 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is proving to be a page turning read, 80 pages in.
  3. Can't believe how well I'm doing with the third goal!  Ran a half marathon at the end of January, an atrocious day weather wise, strong winds made a PB (Personal Best) look out of the question so I started the race with no expectations and amazingly crossed the finish line in 1:59:50 - a whole ten seconds under 2 hours - Whoa !  Just the 10k to aim for now but that's going to be a hard one to crack, 10ks are a much faster shorter race which for me is a higher mountain to climb.
Anyway, I'd love to hear throughout the year how your resolutions are going, so let me know.

Goodbye for now
Fleur

2 comments:

  1. Hello Fleur,
    Thank you so much for popping by my little blog!
    You will get the hang of crochet, I'm like you I've been knitting since I was 8 and I always wanted to learn to crochet but I just couldn't get to grips with it. Until just over a year ago when I sat down on Boxing day and watched it on Youtube over and over and then it clicked! I'm sure it will be the same for you!
    Attic 24 and Do You Mind If I Knit both have brilliant crochet tutorials that helped me a lot too!
    Im very impressed with your running,half marathons too, thats amazing! I thought I might start this year,, I only managed about 20 paces then I had to walk for 20 and so on.. I'm obviously much more unfit than I thought!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. very impressed with your running resolutions. and I gave up on the Larson book about 10 pages in..... but I know there are some lovely patterns in that crochet book, so I'm there with you on that resolution at least !

    ReplyDelete