Monday, 22 October 2012

036: Dreaming of ripples........


When you think of your crafty exploits, how do you categorise yourself?  
Are you a Knitter? a Crocheter? a Sewer? a Patchworker? an Embroider? or 'A bit of everything-er'!

I have always called myself a knitter who has a go at other crafts, and my blog reading represents this perfectly as I spend a lot of my time reading blogs about crafts that I wish I could be an expert in but probably never will.  I so enjoy looking at designs and photos of patchwork and embroidery and I just adore the fantastic crochet blogs and am so envious of the beautiful blankets I see.  I dream of making a blanket one day, I dream of Granny Squares and I dream of Ripples ...... but then I float back to earth and realise that I'm a knitter and I need to have two needles clicking rather than one hook!!

Recently I have been dreaming of ripples, mainly as over the last few weeks I have been looking (well envying) Jacquie's beautiful ripple blanket (that you can find HERE) and Meme Rose's stunning mini blanket (that you can find HERE ), and I finally decided I would have a piece of the ripple action but on two knitting needles instead!


I think I learnt this stitch when I was in my early teens, I used it for making knitted skirts on dresses for my younger sister's dolls. Whenever it was, the stitch has been imprinted in my brain since then and it feels like meeting an old friend as it emerges from my needles.  It's a slightly lacier stitch than the crochet ripples that have inspired me, and although it looks complicated it really is a simple stitch to follow.  

I knew that I wanted to satisfy my 'ripple' urge, but due to a large number of WIPs and quite a long to-do list a blanket was out of the question.  So a scarf was my next idea......


So far, I'm probably half-way through and I'm loving it.  The repetition of the pattern is so gentle on the eye and the soft pastel colours are perfect for a care-free knit, absolute heaven for those feet up on the sofa moments!


The only problem is ..... and I think it's the same for crocheters and knitters alike ...... the mass of ends that will have to be tidied up at the end!  Not a job I'm looking forward to.

Hope you are all enjoying the October Half Term.

Goodbye for now
Fleur xx

21 comments:

  1. That looks awfully complicated but very effective!!It'll make a lovely scarf! I'm into sewing and photography, but I do like knitting and crochet as well, it just trying to find the time for it all!!! I've just finished a notebook cover for a give away on my blog, take a look if you have time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so beautiful. I am a knitter who now crochets and I feel I need to do both so I usually have a knit project and a crochet project on the go at the same time.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ripple scarf is great! I love the colors and the pattern is a perfect ripple. Try not to think about those ends : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fleur...Your ripple scarf is looking beautiful!..I love the colour combination too..no, we don't like those ends do we?..but this will definitely be worth it! I suppose I spend more time knitting than on other things but I'm definitely a bit of a craft addict all round..there's not much I haven't tried!
    Hope you have a lovely week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever Fleur! Those ripples are as yummy as raspberry ripple ice-cream with less calories!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a try-anything-er! Used to be a cross-stitcher but now mostly a crocheter. And, as it happens, I am mid-ripple blanket! It is summery colours and I love it (although it is taking me forever!) loving the colours on your ripple :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used this little pattern myself Fleur and you're right it lovely to knit and the results look amazing!
    I love your colour choice. :)
    Good luck with the dreaded ends!!!
    I always thought of myself as a knitter but nowadays I seem to crochet more.
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you've adapted your desire to crochet a ripple. It's looking really beautiful. I always try to tie in ends as I go, but it doesn't always work that way : -) I'm not much of a knitter, garter stitch scarves, that type of thing, and really a simple crocheter, but today I looked down at my crochet hook and had about 8 stitches on it and thought how weird it looked ... like I should be knitting with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those ends! I love the ripples, but would have to force myself to sort that lot out!
    I'm a jack of all trades, but when it comes down to it, I am a die hard sewer and knitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, that's beautiful! You're making me want to knit a ripple now too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fleur,
    I love your ripple scarf ....it's so pretty . Thanks for your comment. I'm just running short distances at the moment but going to start building up again soon. Hope to do another half in March.
    Hope your runs went well this Autumn.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes, ends ... this is why I like single colour knitting!

    I have a pink scarf somewhere in a stitch not unlike this that I knitted for myself when at university. But mine uses a different technique so the holes are less obvious.

    Love the colours you've chosen here :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely scarf it is! I know exactly what you mean with loose ends. I am crocheting a granny square blanket with lots of them :-)

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Fleur,
    Well I envy you that you knit as I can't! LOL!
    All the years I've crocheted and I have never crocheted a ripple. I remember making a sample for future use but that is as far as it has got.
    Seeing this lovely scarf has reminded me and I'm going to hunt that sample out as I feel a ripple urge coming on.
    Lovely scarf and lovely colours . I don't envy you sorting out all those ends!!!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Colour knitting is my favourite, so I defiantly sympathise with you about those ends.
    It takes nearly the same time to sew them in as it does to knit the garment! Very frustrating but worth the beautiful colour work :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many of the Online Jobs and Online Earning System in internet online Business, but here is a best and legit online earning systems with life time opportunity.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi friend I love your blog always has nice things here, hugs ...

    http://www.titacarre.com
    http://vitrine.elo7.com.br/titacarre

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fan effect on each ripple is gorgeous. I also love the color palette, but I want to see it in the form of a finished blanket! Come on, tell us where things stand!

    If you're interested, I'd love to see this on Kollabora, the crafting and DIY community. Even if you're still working on it, people tend to be really forthcoming with encouragement. I know it's still August, but I miss seeing knitting and crochet projects there regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey fantastic blog i m searching about this topic and i found your blog its really very

    helpful keep the good work thanks

    cotton yarn from

    Pakistan

    cotton carded yarn exporter in

    Pakistan

    ReplyDelete